Health Committee Description & Mission
Chair: Lauren A. Payne
Committee Members: Justin Ward, Anne Vargo, Cherry Parker, Jill Hopper,
Liz Moore, Sheri Rohm, Sylvia Matson, and Karin Daehn
Like all dogs, Chihuahuas may have health issues. Health testing enables breeders to screen their stock for these problems. CCA believes it is import to breed dogs that are both beautiful and health. With that in mind, the goal of the health committee is to "Help Chihuahuas live longer and healthier lives by identifying health issues, recommending participation in research studies and promoting education to improve the health of our dogs. "
Information has been gathered to help breeders, owners and Chihuahua enthusiast to understand the health concerns of the breed, health testing, research supported by the CCA, and other pertinent information.
CCA Health Committee Missions Statement
MISSION & GOALS
To help Chihuahuas live longer and healthier lives by identifying health issues, recommending participation in research studies and promoting education to improve the health of our dogs.
- Identify health issues particular to Chihuahuas by working with Chihuahua owners and breeders.
- Research and identify grants particular to Chihuahuas through the AKC/Canine Health Foundation, and other research which meets our criteria as defined below:
- Meet highest scientific and educational standards
- Have the greatest potential for advancing the health of the Chihuahua
- Have expectations for producing materials and applications that are reasonable and affordable for breeders and owner.
- Educate the fancy on health concerns particular to Chihuahuas through written materials and health clinics.
- To provide updates on results of such research available to CCA and other Chihuahua fanciers
- Provide education on genetics and foster a greater understanding of the role genetics plays in some disease processes.
- To facilitate CCA cooperation with the projects and programs of the AKC Health Foundation.
- To raise funds adequate to advance CHRI committee projects.
- Encourage breeders to test their breeding stock for potential health issues prior to breeding.